Discover new insights. Deploy on the Carelon platform. Improve millions of lives.
Welcome to the Carelon Digital Data Sandbox, Carelon's rapid insights discovery engine that accelerates validation of solutions to healthcare’s most complex problems. The Sandbox is powered by one of the world’s largest available certified de-identified healthcare data sets of commercially insured unique lives.
We are smarter together
The Carelon Digital Data Sandbox offers an unprecedented opportunity to find new insights, build and train algorithms, validate solutions with Carelon experts, and deploy those solutions in the real world. Since launch in 2019, Sandbox partners include:
- 700+ developers
- Teams from 14 countries
- 50 unique organizations
Their groundbreaking projects have the potential to:
- Predict and prevent chronic disease
- Improve care delivery and access
- Streamline administrative processes
Democratizing access to healthcare data
Sandbox data is accessed through a secure virtual environment equipped with scalable compute and choice developer applications. All data is void of direct personal identifiers, regularly refreshed, and accessible in structured tables or individualized FHIR R4 formatted records. It includes membership or eligibility detail, provider information, and licensed standardized medical coding dictionaries, as well as:
- Medical claims for more than 52M unique lives
- Pharmacy claims for more than 30M unique lives
- Electronic health records or clinical details for more than 7.5M unique lives
What is the Digital Data Sandbox used for?
- Validating solutions: Partner organizations can use the Sandbox to evaluate artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) models or analytic capabilities. By serving data through the Sandbox, Carelon can determine model performance such as recall, precision, and potential impact at-scale within the member population. Additional elements such as grading responsible or ethical AI development may also be evaluated.
- Evaluating new software applications: Avoiding complex implementations, evaluators can engage hands-on with the application, using real Carelon data, to determine fitness in workflows or viability of the solution. Partners can also get feedback from Carelon stakeholders and inform potential future adoption.
- Research and development: The Sandbox serves as a central hub for data collaborations. It provides access to high-quality claims and clinical data that allows for novel research and development of new AI/ML models or to carry out preliminary analytics, generating insights to determine whether further investment is worthwhile.