The Massachusetts Digital Health Initiative, or Mass Digital Health, is a comprehensive public-private partnership working to establish Massachusetts as a leading ecosystem for digital health innovation, driving economic impact and improving healthcare costs and quality.
Digital health was identified as a key component of the Commonwealth’s economic development plan (PDF) in 2015 and in January 2016 the Massachusetts Digital Health Initiative was convened to bring together public, private, academic, and healthcare partners to build a stronger and more connected statewide digital health ecosystem.
The Commonwealth designated the MassTech Collaborative economic development agency and its healthcare division, MeHI (Mass. eHealth Institute), as the public lead on the Mass Digital Health Initiative, a role it has held since the launch in 2016. The agency works with industry and healthcare leaders on activities designed to promote and support the sector. These efforts include:
- The development of the Digital Health Sandbox program to boost R&D;
- An interactive Jobs Board highlighting the career opportunities that exist;
- A healthcare cybersecurity working group and cyber toolkit;
- Standardized template agreements for licensing technology and sponsored research in digital health, each accompanied by a user-friendly guide;
- Past support for leading startup accelerators across the state, including MassChallenge HealthTech in Boston (formerly PULSE@ MassChallenge) and TechSpring, a digital innovation lab at Baystate Health in Springfield; and
- Online resources to find Digital Health companies, industry resources, or events around the state.
Statewide Digital Health Report
The early work of the Initiative was steered by a statewide Digital Healthcare Council, which advised on the growth of the industry in the state and chartered a plan to create the leading global ecosystem for digital health.
The report, which was published in July 2019 (PDF), identified eight near-term priority initiative recommendations, along with a recap of the Council's activities, and plans for future initiatives.
Several of these initiatives have been achieved or are ongoing, including:
- Kickoff of the Digital Health Sandbox Network;
- Creation of a digital health cybersecurity Group of Experts and Resource Guide;
- Launch of a preeminent digital health conference, an event which took place in Boston in 2021;
- Support for the growth and continued success of digital health accelerators in the state; and
- Development of a centralized web portal for digital health resources.
Click the image to the right to download the full report or click here (PDF).
To learn more about the Digital Health Initiative, including ways to help grow your digital health business or career in Massachusetts, contact the program team at firstname.lastname@example.org.