At MITRE, we solve problems for a safer world. Through our federally funded R&D centers and public-private partnerships, we work across government to tackle challenges to the safety, stability, and well-being of our nation. MITRE operates the CMS Alliance to Modernize Healthcare (Health FFRDC) which accelerates innovation by connecting people and data to reinvent health systems, enhance the care experience, and protect and promote the health and well-being of all Americans. The Health FFRDC combines cross-cutting capabilities in health policy, clinical informatics, interoperability, and data analytics with world-class information technology, systems engineering, and prototyping to improve the health and well-being of the nation.
MITRE’s Digital Health Sandbox contains the tools you need to develop innovative solutions faster and more securely. From realistic synthetic health data to tools for testing and maturing your API to cyber vulnerability testing of medical devices, MITRE’s sandbox provides open source tools and expertise behind them to help.
MITRE Health IT Tools and Artifacts
- INFERNO is a rich and rigorous testing suite for HL7® Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) to help developers implement the FHIR standard consistently. We offer two options for developers wanting to use Inferno – Inferno Program Edition and Inferno Community Edition.
- CRUCIBLE is a suite of open source testing tools for HL7® FHIR®. It is provided as a free service to the FHIR development community to help promote correct FHIR implementations. It currently can test for conformance to the FHIR standard, score patient records for completeness, and generate synthetic patient data.
- SyntheaTM is a synthetic patient generator that models the medical history of synthetic patients. Our mission is to output high-quality synthetic, realistic but not real, patient data and associated health records covering every aspect of healthcare. The resulting data is free from cost, privacy, and security restrictions. It can be used without restriction for a variety of secondary uses in academia, research, industry, and government (although a citation would be appreciated).
- CDS Connect is a freely available web-based platform that enables the clinical decision support (CDS) community to identify evidence-based care, translate and codify information into an interoperable health IT standard, and leverage tooling to promote a collaborative model of CDS development. Incorporating evidenced-based standards into clinical practice.
- FHIR Shorthand (FSH) is a domain-specific language for defining the contents of FHIR Implementation Guides (IG). The language is specifically designed for this purpose, simple and compact, and allows the author to express their intent with fewer concerns about underlying FHIR mechanics. FSH can be created and updated using any text editor, and because it is text, it enables distributed, team-based development using source code control tools such as GitHub.
MITRE Cyber Safety Lab
Improving patient safety by performing cybersecurity and safety analyses and hands-on testing of medical devices in realistic configurations. There is a focus on medical device cybersecurity, medical internet of things, and telemedicine. Support includes vulnerability testing, scenario development, and analysis of impact and risk.