Contact: Catherine Ricciardi ANP, DNP
The MIT Institute for Medical Engineering and Science (IMES) living lab center is a good clinical practice (GCP), multi-disciplinary, research network, supporting cutting-edge research from concept to clinical translation. IMES serves as an integrative force across MIT, bringing together research and education efforts at the nexus of engineering, science and medicine to advance human health.
The goal of the IMES living lab center is to support the clinical research lifecycle by providing resources to support protocol design, regulatory compliance, clinical consultation, iterative design, oversight and participant monitoring, in addition to operationalizing clinical research protocols. Companies collaborating with IMES will have access to a cutting-edge lab and experienced researchers and clinical partners, plus several desirable features, including the following:
- It will provide both a user experience as well as data repository for testing environments.
- It will feature several settings for research, including home settings, outpatient and pre-clinical.
- Access to the Immersion Lab, which is housed in MIT.nano. This is a two-story, state-of-the-art space for research in visualization, augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR), and for the depiction and analysis of spatially related data. The Immersion Lab is an open-access research space whose mission is to propel research and education.
- A fully equipped core lab with a functional wet lab, processing lab and freezer for specimen storage.
- A lab staffed with experienced clinicians and technicians, equipped with standard care physiologic monitoring, gait analysis, tilt table, treadmill and motion capture capabilities.
- A prototyping facility located adjacent to facilitate iterative design with a 3-D printer, drill press and various instrumentation and tools to support experimentation.
- Access to The Athinoula A. Martinos Imaging Center, a core facility at MIT, that provides access to state-of-the-art brain imaging technologies including: Magnetoencephalography (MEG), Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and Electroencephalography (EEG)
Also available is the Clinical Biomedical Pre-research Services (CBSET), a cutting-edge biomedical research institute located in Lexington, MA. This is a not-for-profit entity, whose mission is to advance biomedical research through innovative, high-quality pre-clinical services to achieve the scientific, regulatory and commercial goals of our partners. This 40,000 square-foot facility is GLP-compliant, OLAW-assured, AAALAC-accredited and includes vivaria, procedure rooms, catheterization and imaging labs, surgical and necropsy suites, histopathology, SEM and a range of other technologies.
IMES in the news:
Double-sided tape for tissues could replace surgical sutures https://bit.ly/33qRGyT
Detecting patients’ pain levels via their brain signals https://bit.ly/36K7u1w
New research: A comprehensive catalogue of human digestive tract bacteria https://bit.ly/2CnTzAo
Scientists make breakthrough to manage immune response for implanted devices in soft tissue https://bit.ly/32qRJcs